As your little one grows, it’s important for them to receive enough vitamins and minerals to ensure good health. Generally, your child will intake a sufficient amount of nutrients from a healthy balanced diet, but in certain circumstances, a child may need to supplement their diet with added vitamins or minerals.
How To Ensure Your Child Is Getting Enough Nutrients
To ensure your children are getting enough nutrients to avoid needing supplements, it’s important to include a wide variety of nutritious foods in their diet. Look to incorporate fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, healthy fats, and dairy products into your family meals and snacks, this will typically provide enough vitamins and minerals.
Getting your child to eat their veggies is a challenge we know, but if you introduce new veggies in consistently and prepare them in different ways – they won't know the difference. A healthy balanced diet should also limit sugars and processed foods.
Do Kids Have Different Nutrient Needs To Adults?
Children tend to need the same nutrients as adults, just in smaller amounts. As they grow, it’s vital for them to receive the suitable level of nutrients to help build strong bones, such as calcium and vitamin D.
In addition, iron, zinc, iodine, choline, and vitamins A, B6 (folate), B12, and D are crucial for brain development in a child's early years. Although, they may need smaller doses of vitamins and minerals than adults, it’s important for them to get enough of these nutrients for proper growth and development.
If your child has to abide by a restrictive diet; cannot adequately absorb nutrients or is a fussy eater (chicken nuggets only), they may benefit from taking a vitamin supplement.
What To Look Out For
We advise that you choose vitamin supplements that are designed for children, to ensure they don’t contain mega-doses that will exceed the daily nutrient levels for children.
- A case was reported of Vitamin D toxicity in children who exceeded the recommended amount.
- Gummy vitamins are designed to be similar to sweets, so are easy to overeat. We advise that you keep vitamins out of reach of young children and choose appropriate intake with older children to prevent accidental overeating of supplements – that is why we provide effervescent tablets which are dissolved in water.
- If you suspect that your child has exceeded the daily amount, please contact a healthcare professional or poison control centre.
*Always discuss supplements with your doctor or a healthcare professional before giving them to your child.
VÖOST Kids Immunity
The latest VÖOST release is our new Kids Immunity effervescent, which helps support the general function of the immune system and comes in a yummy Elderberry flavour.
Our effervescent tablet contains Vitamin C and Zinc which:
- Contributes to the normal function of the immune system
- Helps with the protection of cells from oxidative stress
- Contributes to normal energy-yielding metabolism
- Supports the maintenance of normal Bones
- Helps the maintenance and protection of normal hair, skin and nails
VÖOST Kids Multivitamin
Another product in our ‘Kids’ range is the mixed berry flavoured VÖOST Kids Multivitamin, which helps support healthy growth and development.
Each Effervescent Tablet Contains:
- Iodine and Zinc which both contribute to normal cognitive function
- Iron which supports the normal formation of red blood cells and haemoglobin
- Vitamin B12 which aids the normal functioning of the nervous system
- Calcium and vitamin D which contribute to the maintenance of normal bones and teeth
- Vitamin C which contributes to the normal function of the immune system
When dietary intake is inadequate, children aged 4-18 years: Take 1 tablet daily, dissolved in 200 ml of water, or as directed by your health professional.
*Vitamin and mineral supplements should not replace a balanced diet. If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional, keep out of reach of children.